The Awesome Benefits of Employing a School Based TraineeSchool-based traineeships provide the opportunity for young crew who are in year 11 or year 12 to be employed and go to school at the same time. This means not only will you get paid BUT you can also work towards completing your Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE).
- Undertake paid work from an employer
- Complete their secondary school studies working towards WACE graduation
- Train towards a recognised qualification at a Certificate II or III level in the industry areas of: Business, Retail, Community Services Horticulture, Hospitality, Early Childhood Education & Care
So how does it work?
- You could go to school 3 days a week and go to work on the other 2 days
- You could go to school 4 days a week and go to work 1 days
- Be a full-time senior secondary school student in Years 11 or 12
- Enter into a Training Contract with an employer
- Have the school’s agreement to undertake school-based training
- Have the competencies achieved in the apprenticeship or traineeship included in the Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE)
How long do school based traineeships take?With approval of the school, the school based traineeship can be completed between 1-3 days a week, on weekends and during the school holidays. Generally a term of 12-18 months is the standard timeframe to complete a school based traineeship.
What do you do?You pay the school based trainee wages and super in accordance with the industry award rate You ensure the trainee has access to the full range of work and equipment required to develop the relevant skills and industry knowledge Provide a safe and supervised work environment
THE FINANCIAL INVESTMENTIf you do the sums, employing a school based trainee for 1 day a week for 12 months would mean an out of pocket expense of approximately $3,570. With the government incentives available, the total investment in your business and the trainee would only amount to $1,510 for 1 year! CURRENT GOVERNMENT INCENTIVES: $1,250 for a Certificate II level qualification and an extra $750 for employing a school based student.
- Reduced staff turnover
- Return on your investment with better skilled and trained staff who are committed to your organisation
- Ongoing Support through an established relationship with JSW via regular contact and feedback
- Contribute positively to your community
Employers – Need help finding a School Based Trainee?
JSW can assist you in identifying suitable students through our contacts with local schools. We are also able to assist in developing the job specifications, pre-screening and short listing candidates according to your selection criteria. We also have the capacity to work with candidates and assist them with developing their resumes, interview preparation and application letters as part of our free career guidance service as part of the Workforce Development Centre.
The current minimum hourly rates of pay applicable to SBT’s whose training contract specifies they are undertaking a traineeship is approximately $6.53 for year 11 and $8.05 for year 12. Plus normal employment costs such as Superannuation, Workers Comp applies. Please note industry awards outline the specific payrate.
Contact JSW Training Manager, Robyn Barrett to help you grow your business on 08 9721 5033 or email@example.com